SWLing again...

Well that was fun. We were out on Christmas eve & the boxing day, and then I was out on the bank holiday Monday.



On the boxing day we were out for a walk, and then did some radio stuff. We could hear a pile up from Europe to Bolivia, and the chap was coming out 59 very loud! On our little single-band 20m vertical! Incredible signal. Unfortunately no one heard us transmitting 2W, including our sheep's attempts.


On the Monday bank holiday I grabbed the equipment and headed out once more. I tried some 50MHz SSB and FM calling, no luck. I also did this half the time with the microphone gain down all the way. You moron... Finally I finished at 14MHz once more, hearing loads of VK and very strong EU signals. No responses to my CQs. The radio was allegedly putting out 100W but I could see a lot less on the SWR meter so I wonder if the radio's power is down somehow. I hope I didn't break this radio. 


Also it was freezing cold. 1.8C outside (started with below zero) and inside the car was less than 5C. 


I was wrapped up warmly in two polar jumpers and a hat, but I felt quite cold in the end and headed back home for tea.

Popular posts from this blog

Bicycle Wheel Mag Loop

Today wasn't that bad

Antenna analyzer - ordered