When I was demonstrating Ms B how to measure and build a dipole I did't realise it'd dominate my usage! This was before we built the 20m which also made a massive impact. It also helped that we had built the dipole just as 10 openings were starting. Right now in early September 10m and 6m are slowly dying so 20 is truly dominating my ratings. It is still the 2nd most popular band here.
It's hard to see but there's a 9-band HF/VHF/UHF antenna tied to the back of the bike. In the end I didn't use this, just used a 2/70cm dual bander, that worked well too. Then on Sunday's ride we chained Ms B's bike onto a rail and then I realised I left the keys at home - 70 miles away. That was my day on the bank holiday Monday.
Only the Friday evening I was talking to my wife, telling her about the backpack my Grandpa gave me in early 80s. I was around 8-10y old, and my uncle in Belfast had gifted me his ZX Spectrum 48 because he had upgraded, with a bunch of game cassettes. This had to be carried around so Grandpa probably took me to a shop in Dundrum (Newcastle NI), they used to live in a nature reserve near the village. It was one of those shops in small villages where they sell everything. So he gave me a small fishing tackle bag, including the waterproof removable bait bits. It was perfect for the ZX, power supply, games and a tape for loading the games + jacks. It just fitted everything nice and tight. For the next number of years I used to pack the ZX and go to friends to play games. It was simply brilliant. Many moons later, I found it also perfect for carrying books around - and I used to be a massive reader of SF until COVID-19 made me too nervous to concentrate more than 15 seconds. The...